Saturday, September 13, 2008

Intense Chocolate Shock Cookies



So I was surfing blogs in my Newsgator account (you, of course, have a Newsgator
account, right?) and came across a recipe that caught my eye.

What I liked first of all was it was a chocolate cookie that used melted chocolate instead of cocoa. I've always found that to be a much richer tasting cookie.

Secondly, the blogger mentioned that she found this recipe on a piece of paper taped in the back of an old cookbook she had bought at a yard sale.

Third, you GOTTA love the name of the cookie.

Then I was hooked and HAD to try the recipe.

It immediately flashed me back to being like 10 years old and cooking out of Mom's Betty Crocker cookbook and I remember it seemed most pages had stains or bits of food from all the times it had been used.



Anyway, full credit goes to Baking Blonde who graciously gave me permission to blog her recipe. I made a couple of minor changes, but it is mostly intact. Enjoy!

source unknown

4oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 tbl butter, cut into chunks
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp espresso coffee powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper.In a microwave save bowl combine the chopped chocolate and butter. Heat in microwave stirring every 20 seconds. Heat until almost melted, stirring until smooth and melted. Do NOT overheat chocolate mixture.In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, espresso powder and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy (about 2-4 minutes).Reduce speed to low and slowly add the melted chocolate mixture. Beat to combine. Add the flour mixture until and mix until just combined.Gently fold in chocolate chips.Place dough in refrigerator for 15 minutes.Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 10-13 minutes or until tops are shiny, center is soft but edges are set.
Do NOT overbake. Allow to cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You cookies look so good! I love the shiny tops, as you know many people are attracted to shiny objects, ha ha.
Hope you enjoy. I am glad I found your blog, I have added you to my google/reader.

The City Sage said...

Gorgeous photos on this one---as if the name isn't enough to suck you in, those beautiful craggy tops will do it for sure!