Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunflower Butter Marshmallow Peanut Crisps


I've been making a few things lately using different nut butters given the controversy recently over tainted peanut butter. Not that I'm nervous about using peanut butter, just because it would be a novelty for me to bake using cashew butter, almond butter, etc. Check out my posts Whipped Cashew Butter Cookies or Almond Butter Butterscotch Squares.

This time I decided to experiment using Sunflower seed butter. It is suprisingly light and delicious. This recipe is a snap to make.

Interestingly enough, Sunflower seed butter is good for you. To quote: Sunflower seed butters are high in protein, nutrients and unsaturated fats, low in saturated fats, and, of course, no cholesterol or trans fatty acids. In addition, they are important allies in decreasing the risk of heart disease. Sunflower Seed Butter is a "powerhouse" of vitamins and minerals, including selenium, zinc, potassium, iron and protein.

Ingredients and Method:

1 cup Sunflower seed butter
1 stick butter
1 large bag peanut butter chips
10 oz marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies (approximate)

Place Sunflower seed butter, butter, peanut butter chips in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Mix together well. Add marshmallows and microwave in 30 second intervals until marshmallows are melted. Mix until marshmallow is fully incorporated.

Add rice krispies in two cup batches and stir in. You can vary the amount of the cereal you want in the bars.

Line a 12 x 9 pan with waxed paper, scrape mixture into pan and using the back of large spoon press the mixture down and into the corners of the pan.



Chill in refrigerator for an hour until hardened.

Cut bars into squares.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

Wow! These are exactly what I feel like eating right now! Your pics are amazing :)
Thanks for sharing!

Liesl said...

YUM!!!! I love rice krispy treats!!! These sound and look delicious!

Lori said...

These look very delicious and tastey. I think my kids will like them. If I eat one, I am liable to eat all of them.

Ron Merlin said...

What's interesting about this treat is that I thought it up based upon a comment left on my Almond Butter Butterscotch Squares post. The reader mentioned maybe rice krispies would be a good additive, so I made up the recipe you're reading here. I'm pleased with they came out. Thanks for the kinds words.

Maggie said...

They look delicious! I have to give this a try with chocolate chips in place of the peanut. My son and I love sunflower seed butter.

Cashon&Co said...

ALL of your recipes look so incredibly delicious, it's after 11:00pm and i'm tempted to go in the kitchen and start cooking/baking now! I like your photographs too, they really show how yummy the recipes can be. you've got a new fan in me.