Monday, June 29, 2009

5 Spice Soy Baked Chicken Wings


If you read my blog you know I recently became enamored of Chinese 5 spice powder. See my Cornish Game Hen recipe for instance.

In keeping with that I thought some marinated and baked chicken wings would be just the ticket. I deliberately chose baking over grilling as I wanted to avoid having to tend the wings over the fire constantly to keep from charring.

These were simply delicious, with a different twist due to the combination of spices. I bet you'll like it if you try it.

Ingredients and Method:

20 chicken drumettes (or plain wings if you prefer)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons 5 spice powder (Don't skimp)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Mix together corn starch and water and pour into bowl. Add the balance of the marinade ingredients and stir well.

Pour into large freezer bag, add drumettes, seal and refrigerate and marinate overnight. Yes, overnight.

Heat oven to 350, lay tinfoil over a baking pan and place chicken into pan.

Meanwhile bring marinade to a boil, reduce heat and let thicken slightly for 5 minutes.

Bake chicken while turning and continuing to baste liberally and repeatedly with the marinade until done. You want a nice coating to build up as they bake. About 45 minutes. Meat should easily separate from the bone.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I just recently bought Chinese 5 spice powder ... not because I had a use for it ... I was hoping to be inspired at some point to use it. Inspiration found!

Ron Merlin said...

Ha Ha, thanks. Let me know how they come out. I bet you like 'em....

Debbie said...

They are wonderful ... I am sitting at my computer (with my guests relaxing with an "after dinner beer") and we all talking about how great the wings were. They all insisted I pull out the computer and send their compliments immediately!

Ron Merlin said...

That is SO cool.

Thanks Debbie,

You made my day.

RM