Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cocoa Krispies Caramel Squares

I'm always on the lookout for recipes that I can send to my daughter in Iraq. And I know everyone seems to love Rice Krispie Bars. This recipe however is a bit different in that it uses Cocoa Krispies. Adapted from Annies Eats.

It's really easy to make and ships well. I understand Charlie Company 7/158 Aviation in Balad, Iraq enjoyed them. They didn't last long I hear.

3 Tbsp butter
1 10oz package Marshmallows
10 caramel squares
6 cups cocoa crispy rice cereal
12 candy caramel squares
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tablespoon half and half

Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with waxed paper or parchment paper

Pour cocoa krispies into a bowl. Melt butter and marshmallows in short bursts in the microwave and pour over cereal and mix well.

Melt caramel squares in microwave safe bowl, again in short 30 second microwave bursts until melted. Stir in half and half.

Sprinkle mini chips over the cereal mix and press in lightly. Pour the melted caramel mixture over the squares in a random fashion.

Let chill for about 20 minutes, remove from dish if you can (to make cutting easier) and cut into the size squares you would like.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

A & W said...

I saw these pictures and exclaimed to myself "Holy S*** these look good". That's pretty much what I have to say about them! I have no doubt your daughter will enjoy these and will appreciate your care in baking them for her. She's doing a courageous thing that we should all be thankful for! Thanks for the great recipe I've got it bookmarked.
-Whitney

Becca said...

There goes any hope of losing even a single ounce...thanks a lot :P

Elle said...

Just happened upon your wonderful blog! you must be very proud of your daughter.I'll bet her company enjoyed these.
I have someone I'd like to mail some of these to, but I'm confused about the recipe. Caramels are mentioned in two places & different numbers & as caramel squares and candy caramel squares...are these different ingredients? Did I miss a step? I saw where the caramel squares were melted with the half and half added, then poured over the mixture in the baking pan. Any clarification you could provide would be appreciated! Elle

Ron Merlin said...

Elle,

I've reposted the recipe to hopefully clarify it. Any reference to caramel means the caramel squares candy.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Enjoy.


TMM