Sunday, January 31, 2010

Old Fashioned Gingerbread


Childhood tastes and memories. I think we all have a number of things we ate as children that bring back memories when we try them again. In this case I'm talking about Gingerbread. Warm, dark, pungent, heavily gingered Old Fashioned Gingerbread. It reminds me of my grandmother and eating a slice fresh from the oven with a dollop of whipped cream, sometimes a tiny scoop of ice cream, or my favorite, just lightly buttered.

I hadn't had any in years so I made some. Try it, I think you'll like it. It'll bring back memories. Or make new ones. Up to you.

Ingredients and Method:


1 cup molasses
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
In a bowl combine sugar and butter. Beat in the egg and molasses.
Add the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt and mix well.
Pour one cup hot water in mixture and stir in.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for one hour until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

My mother used to serve her gingerbread with sliced peached from the can and whipped cream. Have not had any in ages.

Ron Merlin said...

Wow, that sounds interesting. I'm going to try that. Thanks Debbie.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....