Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Saffron Risotto with Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese


Do you know what Risotto is?  I didn't for the longest time, but it essentially is an Italian rice called Arborio that is cooked in such a manner as to yield a very creamy delicious rice. The creaminess is also due to this rice not being milled as much as regular rice so it has a high starch content.

Although I've made Risotto before, for some reason I've not posted a recipe. So I decided to rectify that.

I was trying to figure out what might be good in a risotto. I know often mushrooms and other vegetables are added to cooked risotto but I wanted something different. I had some leftover saffron from Trader Joe's and a partial brick of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and I quickly looked online to see if there was such a combination, and it seemed there was. So I dove in and created this.

I really, really, liked this risotto. Delicious texture, the earthy tones of the saffron, and the nuttiness of the cheese made for a splendid dish. (Also I had homemade Chicken Stock, but store bought will work as well)

I was just as good the next day when reheated.  Give it a try!  You'll not be disappointed.

Ingredients and Method:

32 oz. Chicken Stock
1 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup arborio rice
1 tablespoon butter
generous pinch of saffron
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

One key to make risotto is to have the chicken stock warmed, so as it is added in increments to the cooking rice it doesn't "shock" it by being too cold.

Heat the chicken stock in a pan, and keep warm to the side.


Add olive oil another sauce pan over medium heat. Add the risotto, and saffron and stir until all the rice is shiny.(About one minute) Add a bit of salt, and the cup of white wine, stir, and turn down to simmer. Stir occasionally until the wine is absorbed and then add a cup of the chicken broth. Continue to simmer and stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed and then add another cup of chicken stock. Repeat until all stock is used up. Continue summering until rice is done and creamy about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter and half the grated cheese and stir until incorporated.

Spoon into serving dishes, sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve immediately.

Enjoy!



7 comments:

ChefJohn said...

Ron, have you made risotto in the pressure cooker yet? Seven minutes!

Ron Merlin said...

No I haven't! What a great idea. And here I am Mr. Pressure Cooker and never thought of that.

I might have to try making Pressure Cooker Risotto Rice Pudding.

Thanks for the tip!

Chef MiMi J said...

Yummm!

Foodiewife said...

Risotto Milanese. That's exactly what I just made for my Valentine. Love! Happy Valentine's Day.
PS: I guess I should try PC Risotto. Now why didn't I think of that?

Ron Merlin said...

What a coincidence. Yeah, and I agree with you, why didn't I think of the Pressure Cooker.

<----scratching head

umzug said...

Thanks to topic

Menu Delivery said...

That delight your recipes and well explained the procedure for processing.