Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Cabbage Soup



So I haven't been on for a while. Lots of changes. Trying to sell my cookbook. (The Merlin Menu at all online bookstores)

My job ended with AT&T.

Moved to Vancouver to be close to my family and all that encompasses.

Took my time and am now seeking employment again, but very selectively.

Therefore I have time to cook again, so here I am.  Ta-Da!

One thing I have never made is Irish Colcannon. so I tried making it the other day and blew it! I actually undercooked the potatoes and used too much milk and cream in the finished prduct. (Totally rookie mistakes I must admit)

So I'm sitting there today with half a cabbage and no desire to make another attempt at Colcannon right now.

I thought of cabbage soup which I think I have had one time in the past but I remember it had Kielbasa in it. I decided I wanted to make soup but without the Kielbasa.

So I did. I made a basic cabbage soup that was clean, easy, and frankly, delicious. Not overpowering in any way, healthy for you no doubt, and simple to make. Give it a try. (My recipe uses a Pressure Cooker, but traditional cooking advice is at the end of the recipe)

Ingredients:

1/2 head cabbage, cored, and chopped
2 carrots, washed and sliced
1 sweet onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 14.5 oz (or so) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 32 oz container chicken broth
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Method of Preparation:

Add olive oil to pressure cooker and turn heat to medium.
Add onions, carrots and saute until onions are soft.
Add the balance of the ingredients to the pressure cooker, cover, and turn to high heat.
When it starts to emit a steady stream of steam, turn to low and let cook for 15 minutes.
Turn off heat, and let cool down normally.
Open, taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed.

If not using a pressure cooker, follow the same instructions but use a large sauce pan or pot and after sauteeing, simmer the soup until carrots and cabbage are tender, 30 - 45 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Bear said...

Well, your brother will buy a couple books, but you have to call me. 623-252-2327!

Unknown said...

Hi,

We have noticed that you have great recipe posts on your blog and would like to give you the opportunity to share them with the world!
Our community of chefs and foodies is unlike anything you’ve seen on the web. Nowhere else can you post recipes, get nutrition facts, organize your favorites, and even get recognized for recipe of the day and blog of the week. From amateurs to professional chefs, erecipe gives you the platform to share your culinary skills with the world!

You can get started by posting your first recipe at www.erecipe.com

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at info@erecipe.com

We hope to see you soon!