Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Char Siu Pork Tenderloin

I really enjoy cooking Pork Tenderloin. The cut is so tender, cooks so quickly, and readily lends itself to marinades and sauces. I adapted a recipe from My Recipes which uses a Char Siu marinade. Since my new favorite spice is Chinese 5 spice powder this was ideal. The pork tenderloin can be baked or grilled or even sauteed after marinating. For this rendition, I used the old gas barbeque grill. Delicious.

As for the marinade, it can be used with chicken, wings, drumsticks, pork ribs etc. Do give it a try.

Ingredients and Method:

2 tablespoons rice wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons chinese 5-spice powder
2 tablespoons honey

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

Slice pork tenderloin cross-wise into 3/4 inch pieces.

Place in plastic bag and pour marinade over, seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.

Remove tenderloin, and grill over high heat for approximately 3 - 4 minutes per side, basting with a bit of the marinade. Be careful not to overcook the tenderloin, it tends to cook very quickly. If you have a meat thermometer, remove as SOON as it registers 170 degrees.

Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Cheesy said...

Oh I am SO trying this one... always looking for new tenderloin recipes.. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I'm thinking how it would be good for the upcoming holiday. One question... do you leave the gas grill cover open or closed? Thanks.

Ron Merlin said...

That's a good question. Pork Tenderloin cooks so quickly, I would leave the top of the grill open, and tend it the whole time. It won't take long, and I always pull one off and cut into it, because it's on a few minutes per side.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Merlin. That makes perfect sense. I'm definitely going to try this.....it sounds so good.

Hungry Dog said...

This sounds and looks great. I love 5 spice powder too.

Ninette said...

This looks fabulous ... definitely one I will try.

Becky said...

My husband and I made this tonight and it was excellent. We'll be making it again -- possibly to share it with guests. It's that good!

sharonhi said...

how would you recommend cooking in oven?

Petersen's said...

I was going to roast a whole Char Siu marinated tenderloin in the oven but then I found your recipe and decided to cut up my tenderloin and broil the pieces. Chunks are marinating now and I am salivating thinking about broiling them tonight ! Thanks for the tip !