Monday, May 25, 2009

Creamy Potato Salad


One of the things I think you can count on, is that when you try one of my blog recipes, it's been tried and proven. Some of what I post I have made for years, some are new so I make them and make certain they will work for you. Others are recipes I make by feel or judgment so I have to try and precisely get the measurements right so it will come out correctly.

This is one of those recipes that it's a good thing I tested it out first. I'll tell you why in a moment.

That being said, this potato salad was delicious! Really, really good. Adapted from All Recipes.

Ingredients and Method:

4 - 6 medium yukon gold potatoes
3 green onions, chopped
1 celery stalk, including leaves, finely chopped
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup dill or sweet pickles, diced
1/4 cup pickle juice
2 hard boiled eggs, shelled, and diced
1 teaspoon salt
parsley for garnish

For the dressing:

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

Cut potatoes (skin on) in half and then each half in quarters. Bring to a boil in salted water for about 10 minutes until a fork can pierce them easily. Don't overcook as we don't want mush potato salad, do we?

Drain cooked potatoes, and let cool on a cutting board. Cut into smaller pieces until they are the size you want and toss in a bowl. Add bacon, 1 tablespoon of bacon grease, pickles, pickle juice, green onions, celery, hard boiled eggs, and salt. Toss well.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan add two beaten eggs, evaporated milk, cornstarch, sugar, mustard and mayo and slowly bring to a boil and stir another minute while it thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.

Now here's the part where my checking out the recipe comes in handy. Because the dressing part is usually TOO much for the amount of potatoes. So add more potatoes if you want, but the point is, when adding the dressing to the potatoes, measure carefully so you can make them as creamy as you want. My mistake was, I just dumped all the dressing over the potato mixture and it was just too much and very soupy. So I had to try and drain excess dressing without losing onions, and taters, and other ingredients. Not good.

So, once the dressing mixture has cooled, add it in increments to the potato mixture until it's exactly the consistency you want.

Sprinkle with fresh parsley and refrigerated until fully chilled.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am craving some potato salad right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your pic is mouthwatering!

Chef Tess said...

Okay I have used pickle juice and bacon in my potato salad for years. That smoke of the bacon is always a hit. Thanks for the heads up on the dressing too. It sounds really remarkable!