Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Sandwich


I love avocados. I don't eat them that often, and I'm not sure why. But recently I came across a source where you can have freshly harvested Haas avocados shipped direct to your door.

The link is: California Avocados Direct.

Shipping was free, and a few days later I had 5 hard, firm, unripened avocados in my house. They were shipped in a nice box filled with straw, all in all a nice presentation.

Now the thing about receiving 5 avocados at once is they can all ripen at the same time, and who wants that many ripened avocados all at the same time?  Usually you wouldn't, so I figured out what to do. Place the avocados is a plastic bag on the counter for about a week, they will slowly begin to ripen (skin turns very dark and they are soft when pressed gently) Then, take one or two out of the bag and leave on the counter. They will then ripen while the ones remaining in the bag are still not ready. Try it, it works!

When the first one finally ripened, I couldn't wait to try it. I sliced half the avocado thinly and placed on a small plate, fanned it out,  dusted it simply with salt and pepper, and tried it.  Absolute heaven, seriously, best avocado I'd ever had. And then I promptly sliced up the remaining half and devoured it also.

The next day, I took out another avocado, left it on the counter until perfectly ripened, and decided I just had to have a Bacon, Avocado and Tomato Sandwich.

I lightly toasted some whole wheat bread, spread with mayonnaise or salad dressing (or thousand island dressing also!) sliced avocado, crisp bacon, and sliced fresh hot house tomatoes.

Sure you could add lettuce, but I wanted the texture of the creamy avocado, the crunch and saltiness of the bacon, blended with the juiciness of the ripe tomato only. It worked for me.

One of the best sandwiches I've ever had.  And you have to admit, that's a purty good lookin' meal.
Get some avocados, and make yourself one or three.

5 comments:

Mimi from California Avocados Direct said...

We're so glad that you are enjoying your avocados! We haven't tried using a plastic bag for ripening...usually a brown paper bag is recommended...but happy that it's working for you! Wonderful sandwiches ...mouth-watering! Thanks for telling your followers about us!

Ron Merlin said...

A paper bag will let the gases vent whereas plastic won't. This retards the ripening a bit, so you take one or two our when you want them to ripen before the rest. I discovered it quite by accident.

Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

we love avocados on BLT's - we also like sliced hard boiled eggs!

ChefJohn said...

Mr. Magical Merlin,

To keep the sliced avocado from turning brown just rinsed it with water -- much cheaper though less flavorful than lime or lemon. It works -- after 3 hours of watching one not turn brown, I inhaled it.

Ron Merlin said...

Thanks Chef John, I did know that. But it's not an issue for me, and here's why.

Once I cut open an avocado, I can't stop eating it until it's done.

Ha ha

Thanks, John