Saturday, June 4, 2011

Baked Donuts


Baked donuts. Who makes baked donuts. Aren't donuts always deep fried, greasy, and delicious?  Of course they are.

But for some reason, the other night, (I gotta stay off the net)  I came across and bought a donut pan for baking donuts. Why?  I have no clue.  But now I have another specialty use pan which I'll probably use twice in the next 2 years. But, that's the curse of a foodie I guess.

Now here's the surprise, the donuts were delicious and easy to make. I did notice that cinnamon sugar doesn't  adhere real well, probably because of the absence of OIL!  But that's ok. I think glazing might be a better way to go anyway.  Next up, I think I'm making some baked yeast donuts. We'll see how it goes. Keep in touch.

I did notice they only browned on top, so I'm thinking next time, I may oil the pan with butter instead of
spray and see if they brown more uniformly. That being said, they tasted perfect anyway.

Recipe came with the pan. I really did like the spices in the batter. Excellent.

Ingredients and Method:

1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
3 cups all-purpose flour 
1 cup buttermilk 
2 eggs 
1 tablespoon honey 
1/2 cup butter, melted 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Lightly spray the donut pan with oil.

In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients including spices. Blend together the liquids in a bowl (buttermilk, eggs, honey, and melted butter) and add to the dry ingredients and mix well.

The dough will be a bit thick. Using two spoons, drop dough into the donut pan tin, filling each mold about 1/2 full with dough.

Bake in oven for 12 minutes, until nice and browned,  remove, cool on a rack, and coat however you would like.

All kidding aside, I bet I use this pan, ummm,   4 times a year!  ha ha

4 comments:

Sile said...

I use it for a fun twist on cupcakes and cornbread muffins. ;)

Ron Merlin said...

Great ideas. Thanks.

Chef Tess said...

Seriously...now I need to get one of those pans too. Daggumit. Thanks Ron.

Jaime said...

All these baked donut recipes are killing me!! I need to get one of these pans immediately!