Monday, June 11, 2012

Two Layer Key Lime Pie


One of my favorite family recipes. I've been making this for years and my kids loved it as they were growing up. Whenever my youngest son visits from college, it's mandatory I make it and let him take it with him to school.

It's a basic key lime pie but with an extra layer. You can make your own crust or just buy it in the bakery section at the store. I can't tell the difference frankly.

Ingredients and Method:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (or prepared shell)
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice (Fresh if you can find them in season)
1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup key lime juice
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar and press into pie pan. Place into 350 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Combine condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks. Pour into crust and bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.

Remove and let cool completely.

Mix together room temperature cream cheese, vanilla, condensed milk, lime juice and sugar. Pour carefully onto key lime filling and refrigerate until set. Serve garnished with whipped cream.
Enjoy!


12 comments:

Memória said...

This looks great! I like the added cream cheese layer.

Chef Tess said...

Key lime pie with a cheesecake type twist...what's not to love! Totally making this for my husband who would do anything for key like pie. Thanks!

Sally said...

Yum yum Ron. There is an award on my blog for YOU. Love Sally.

patricia said...

What a master piece

Creative Classroom Core said...

That cream cheese layer really puts this over the top... sounds incredible! Yum!

curiousdomestic said...

I like the double-layer idea. Key lime pie is so yummy!

debbmarie said...

Wow .. the 2 layers sounds great. I have been looking for a good key lime pie recipe ... this just may be it!

Flasown said...

We have a key lime tree, so we've tried all different recipes for pie. This one is a winner! It's also delicious slightly thawed out of the freezer. The two layers just put it over the top! It's not that much more trouble and so worth the extra effort.

Marcia said...

This pie is incredible! My family raved about it for days and it is so easy to make!

Ft. Collins Foodie said...

Well this is just over-the-top! I added a couple of things that made this a $7.95 dessert: 1.Oreo cookie crust 2. I pureed, strained and cooked down 2 pints of fresh raspberries with 1/3 C sugar. When the first layer was cool, I spread the cooled raspberry layer over it, chilled, then added the cream cheese layer. Unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

Over-the -top fantastic! It was so good I had to add to it. 1. Oreo cookie crust 2. I pureed, strained, and cooked down 2 pints of fresh raspberries with 1/3 C sugar. Cooled and poured over the first (cooled and set) layer, the added the cream cheese layer- amazing!

Unknown said...

To die for! The added cream chz mix top layer sets it above the rest. Thanks for sharing!