Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lime Raspberry Cheesecake Bars


Summertime. Of my favorite summer desserts. One of the blogs I follow is Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. Her recipes are impressive, photography is great, and I enjoy her writing. She posted a recipe recently that from the photo alone, I just had to make. So, hats off to Peabody and thanks for sharing.

I love the taste of these bars, and there's nothing like fresh raspberries, is there?  Give them a try. They are so delicious.

Adapted from Culinary Concoctions.

Ingredients and Method:


Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon lime zest
4 tablespoons sugar
7 tablespoons butter, melted
pinch of salt

Batter
2 packages cream cheese, room temperature
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice or key lime juice
1 tablespoon lime zest

Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, lime zest, and salt in a bowl. Pour the butter over the mixture and mix well. Scrape crumb mixture into greased 9 x 13 baking dish, press down evenly,  and bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and  set aside.

Combine cream cheese and sugar and combine with a mixer. Add egg yolks, and beat until well blended. Add lime juice and zest and mix thoroughly.

Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared graham cracker pan and spread evenly.

Raspberry Mixture
1 pint fresh raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice

Combine raspberries, sugar and lime juice  in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the berries juice and the sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally. Bring to a boil, stir, and turn off heat. Let cool until warm.

Prepare a square of cheesecloth, spoon raspberry mixture into center, (you may have to do twice, depending on the cheesecloth size) pull together four quarters, and begin turning cheesecloth to squeeze out the raspberry sauce into a bowl, leaving the seeds behind. Yeah, it's going to get all over your hands but it's worth it. I find this way to much easier than using a strainer.

Drop the raspberry mixture onto the top of the filling randomly. Using a knife or spatula, swirl the raspberry mixture into the cheesecake filling.


Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until it is set in the center and starting to brown around the edges. Let cool
completely, and cut into bars. Using a knife dipped in hot water, and dried, will aid the cutting of the bars.


Store in refrigerator.

I took these to work and they "vanished"

9 comments:

meghamora said...

...dangit, Ron, if I end up being 300 pounds before the end of the year, I'm going to blame *you* personally. :P

M. said...

I'm saving this recipe, it looks gorgeous and I bet it tastes even better!!!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog. I love it and will be checking back often!

Ron Merlin said...

Thanks so much for the kinds words. I appreciate your visiting and commenting.

Please come back often (or subscribe/follow) I have lot's more good stuff coming up...


The Merlin Menu

Vicki said...

Just found your blog and will be following it from now on. I'll be trying this recipe for sure since we just picked raspberries on Monday. Can't wait to go tour your blog some more.

www.navefamilyfood.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

These look divine, and like the falvor would be awesome. Nice stumblinb across your blog!

bunbun said...

hmmm...looks yummy...

JillyB said...

Those bars look lovely and I love the idea of putting lime zest into the biscuit base. Mmmm

Abby said...

I LOVE to see swirled desserts before baking. So whimsical! Beautiful color, too.